YUM!! When my children were young, this was a favorite!
|Homemade Vanilla Marshmallows|
3 pkgs. unflavored gelatin
1 C. ice water
1 1/2 C. sugar
1 C. light corn syrup (*or alternative)
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Place gelatin in bowl of mixer and add 1/2 C. cold water. Do not stir. Let sit and allow to "bloom".
3. Turn mixer on lowest speed and SLOWLY and CAREFULLY pour the sugar mixture down the side of the bowl into the gelatin mixture.
|Adding sugar syrup|
4. Once you have added all they sugar mixture, slowly increase the speed of the mixture to high. Whip until mixture becomes thick and is lukewarm. (this takes about 12-15 minutes). Add vanilla in the last minute or two of mixing.
|Whipped marshmallow mixture|
|Mixture in pan|
7. Let rest, uncovered, for at least 4 hours or overnight. Remove marshmallows from pan on lightly dusted counter or cutting board.
|Marshmallows removed from pan|
8. Using a pizza cutter,cut into desired size squares and roll in powdered sugar.
~You can use any type of extract for these. Try almond, maple or lemon!
~Add a few drops of food coloring to the mixture as it is whipping for even prettier marshmallows.
~This can be a little hard on your mixer, I actually burned the motor out of my first Kitchen Aid mixer making marshmallows